Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Good Thrifting Guide


I thought I would use this post to give you my top 5 thrifting tips, I know this has been done over and over on other blogs, but I've been thinking about this for a while, and these are my own personal suggestions.

1) Use your imagination. This is by far the most important thing when 'thrifting' or looking in any shop really. Imagine how something would fit into an outfit with clothes you already own, how it could be customised or worn in a certain way. There is no point going into a charity shop or thrift store looking for something specific. Browse and use your imagination.


2) Don't be too worried about sizing. This is particularly poignant this season with the 'oversized' look, I have bought many items that would normally be far too big for me, and have either taken them in to fit or simply worn them oversized.


3) Start with what excites you the most. This way your more likely to find something you really love and it will inspire you to try the sections your not so excited about. I always start with the shoes section and then dresses because these are my favourites so if I'm short of time that way I don't feel like I've missed out. 


4) Don't forget the men's section. There are loads of great oversized jumpers and 'grandad' cardigans definitely worth a look.



5) Take your time. People are always telling me that they never find anything in charity shops, but that's because they're not really looking, this fits in really well with my first point. There are hundreds of different things in each shop you will never find anything if you walk in, take a quick look and walk back out again. I've got it down to a fine art now, I hit the shoes first, then the dresses, then the blouses, tops, skirts, trousers and accessories, I spend time on each section flicking through the rails and using my imagination, and I pretty much never come away empty handed.

My wardrobe is now full of vintage pieces, thrifted clothes that originally would have cost a small fortune from the likes of Marks and Spencer, Principles and even designer brands, and theres nothing quite like that feeling that you've got a 'one of a kind' peice for just a few pounds.


I know most of you will know all of this already, but I just wanted to share my own personal experience.

In other news, I still haven't received my mannequin, but I have finished the Alexa dress and have turned my old leather bomber into a cute little Aviator jacket so as soon as I get the mannequin you'll be the first to see.

Lastly, don't forget to join my giveaway, it closes at midnight next Friday.

Outfit Details

Grey Maxi Dress - Primark - £9
Blue Chunky Knit Cardigan - Thrifted - £3
Brown Worker Boots - Primark - £18
Bird Pendant and Braclets - Primark - £3.50
Long Gold Pendant - Gifted

Total Outfit Cost - £33.50

xxx